Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sew Many Adventures This Week!

In keeping with my recent decision to start checking items off of my "one day" list, I spent the last couple of weeks scouring the internet for a cheap sewing machine.  Learning to sew has perhaps been on my "one day" list longer than almost anything else.  Of all the feats I have wanted to accomplish, sewing is by far the most intimidating and scary.

But...I am happy to report that I am no longer afraid of sewing and I have actually crafted a couple fun items with my new sewing machine!

My very first creation...a super easy summer skirt with elastic waist band!


       

With the help of two great tutorials found here and here, I was able to figure out exactly what to do to make this skirt with ease!


I loved my first skirt so much that I decided to try a second style :) Which is absolutely amazing by the way!


This skirt is made out of a recycled men's dress shirt...courtesy of my husband's closet!  This one required more skill and precision, but I think it turned out pretty well for my second sewing project ever :) So many thanks to the inspiration (and incredible tutorial) I found here!

I can't wait to wear these babies and experience the unique joy of wearing something crafted by my own hands.  It is moments like this that remind me that slow and simple can often be so much more rewarding than quick and easy.  

It is just one more way God reminds us that we are made in God's image.  We are created by the ultimate artist and we too have the desire and the need to create with our own hands.  We often forget this, but this week has shown me how important it is to use my creativity.  

I am excited to mark one thing off my "one day" list and plan to keep expressing myself in the future. Creativity and imagination are wonderful gifts from God...may we never squander them!




4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Glad you liked the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, it looks exactly the lady's who you got the inspiration from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, it looks exactly the lady's who you got the inspiration from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, it looks exactly the lady's who you got the inspiration from.

    ReplyDelete